Search This Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Number Line to 120 and Summer Reading

It's been quite awhile since I had last posted.  Sorry for the long absence.  I am just starting to get my energy back.  Growing a baby is hard work!  I wanted to share with you a couple of things.

First off, I have just created a personal, mini-sized number line to 120.  You can find it in my TeachersPayTeachers and Teachers Notebook stores for $1.  Here are some sneak previews: 




Also, I have been busy reading preparing for remedial math.  Here are two books I recommend: 

Children's Mathematics: Cognitively Guided Instruction by
Thomas Carpenter, Elizabeth Fennema, Megan Loef Franke, Linda Levi, Susan B. Empson

Richardson's book provides insight into the different stages children go through when learning number concepts.  She breaks it down stage by stage and shows what the children should know by the end of each stage. 

The authors of Children's Mathematics help us to realize that students may not show concepts the way we as adults think they should, but they know them none-the-less.  The breakdown each area of computation by the types of problems and different ways that students might approach those problems.  These include part-part to whole and joining problems. 

Next on my reading list is Guided Mathematics

That is all I have for you today.  I hope you are staying cool wherever you are!

Colleen

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! This is exactly what I need for Common Core next year. I'm headed over to add it to my back to school wishlist!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete