Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Buzz: a Multiplication Game

When I was in third grade and beginning to learn my multiplication tables, my teacher introduced my class to the game of Buzz. To this day, I use that easy game to introduce multiplication to my second grade enrichment group but also to my third grade intervention groups.

How to play:

Participants sit in a circle. The teacher or adult announces the fact group for the round and starts the round with saying the number 1. The next player continues counting with two or buzz depending on the fact group. For each multiple in the fact group, the player whose turn it is on a multiple of that number must say buzz. If they do not, they are out and the very next player must say buzz. You continue until you get to that number times twelve or one player remains.

A sample round:

Teacher say threes facts and starts with one. Next student says two, next says buzz, next four, then five, then buzz. The next player must say seven, but they say six so they are out. Numbers that are buzzed may not be said aloud.

Players only get one chance to get it right. If they start to say the wrong number, they are out. Also if the wrong number is "buzzed" they are out.

I always do a practice round using the multiples of two. All players that are out in one round are allowed back in the next.

I have played this with my nephew at the dinner table, and it can be played with just two people. Try it in the car or during class bathroom breaks while you wait for kids to return.

Have fun!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun math game!!

    I'm your newest follower. I found you through a post on TPT for second grade teachers. Looking forward to reading through your blog!

    www.secondgradealicious.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete